Chuchería

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Let's be Tardy Like It's 1999

In my feral class, I average about 4-5 kids who come tardy every day. We eat lunch during that class period and many of those same kids come late from lunch - plus a few more rebels. I count them tardy in the attendance data base and nothing much happens. Yesterday, I told them "no more". If they arrived tardy - and tardy has always been and would henceforth be defined as 'arriving after the bell', then they would serve a 20 minute detention with me either the day of or the following day. Personally, this punishes me more than it does them, since I have no desire to spend my after school time babysitting them. The nice thing is, that if they don't serve the detention with me, I write a referral and they get Saturday School- just like the Breakfast Club! Only they aren't left alone in the library.

That was yesterday. Do you know how many tardies I had today? 2. And they are B.D. kids who are supposedly transitioning into regular ed. I wrote their names on the board under the heading "Tardy Party". They could care less about any consequences. The others? They care. They said things like "I ran back from lunch because I don't want a detention.", and "Mrs T, I'm going to the restroom before the bell rings- I won't be tardy, will I?"

They amaze me- the tougher I get, the better it seems to be.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

They'll never admit it - they may not even be aware of it - but kids LOVE boundaries. They need to know where the edges are, and that they're stable edges, at that. It's really true - the tougher (or, more accurately, the more consistent) you are, the better they'll respond to you. It seems counterintuitive, but it's true...

2/29/2008 7:01 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Bluebird said...

Wow, you guys are really lenient when it comes to tardies. After two tardies, we give out a behavior note making sure it mentions that the 3rd tardy is a discipline referral. That equals 5 points and after school detention.

3/01/2008 11:30 AM  
Blogger The Vegas Art Guy said...

All I had to do was warn a couple of kids and have a phone call home made and my tardy stars showed up on time. Now for my 6th period class and their well running at the mouth issue. Can you say serial detentions? It means I have to stay until 3:45 which means my daughter has to go to safekey...

3/03/2008 6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home