Chuchería

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Snowed Inn

That's the theme of the winter dance that in 1940 was known as the "Spinster Spree", now shortened to the more hip "Spree"- one of those girls-ask-the-guys dances. Mr. T and I will be chaperoning tonight's festivities- quite looking forward to it, really. They'll take our pictures- complete with cheesy background. We'll dance a couple of slow dances - mostly to freak the kids out, but also to make sure they aren't procreating on the dance floor. Have you seen what goes on at a high school dance lately? I'll give you an update later.


*Later:

We had a wonderful time at the dance- got our pics taken in front of the bluish background with snowflakes- awwwwww!
A few observations:
1. They were all over the map in degrees of "formal". Many couples coordinated- guy's shirt matched the color of girl's dress. Many of the guys wore a nice shirt and tie or even a suit - or at least a jacket. Lots of girls had cute, cute dresses and had their hair done. Some didn't dress up as much. Some of our more ghetto kids wore jeans and hoodies. Some of the stoner kids wore t-shirts and flannel AND brought their iPods. You know, so they could listen to music. (...wtf??)

2. The dancing? Is obscene. It's dry-humping set to music and that's all I'm sayin.

3. Once they were in the door and got their pictures taken, most of the girls ditched their shoes.

4. The girls don't wear any kind of stocking anymore. Yes, it was 30 below outside.

4 Comments:

Blogger Adeline said...

ooooh yea I have seen it. After I did it I dunno 5 or so times, I can't deal with it. My inner prig comes out and I want to put my bible between the kids bumping privates and say "make room for the holy spirit!"

no i never actually say that. i have reminded them though that they are still in the school cafeteria. its ridiculous, the minute you back away, they are back at it.

meh, i am not interested in being a prig, nor am i interested in policing it.

2/09/2008 11:47 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Mrs. T, I almost wish I worked in a high school so I could chaperone the proms and dances. I've got a couple of gorgeous dresses that I'd love to wear, just to freak the kids out.

Keep 'em honest and have fun!

2/10/2008 2:07 PM  
Blogger HappyChyck said...

Be glad you haven't chaperoned any middle school dances. I always do the 8th grade dance, where they all act like it's a prom or something--that's not bad. When we have a general population dance, I can't handle the smell of hundreds of kids who need to wear deodorant. I do everything to get out of those.

When I taught h.s. I was suckered in to chaperoning only during my first year. After that I claimed that I would show up to take picts for the yearbook, but then I'd leave whenever I felt like it. Yes, I know what happens on the dance floors! Been there up close and personal. Yikes!

2/10/2008 8:43 PM  
Blogger Mrs. G. said...

I can only imagine. Don't open any closet doors suddenly-I learned this the hard way.

2/11/2008 6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home