Chuchería

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sunday Snapshot




Pictured above is NOT a quiche, not a creme brulee type of custard tart, but in fact a Macademia Lime Tart, the recipe stolen shamelessly from the Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook, which was a wedding gift. Oh, how I loved this cookbook- chock full of shi-shi entertainment ideas and all kinds of insanely labor intensive recipes. This particular one calls for a tart crust that requires you to use a food processor- very 90's. No one on the cooking shows seems to use a food processor these days. The crust consists of flour, butter, an egg yolk, a bit of sugar and some ice water. You are supposed to refrigerate the dough for an hour, during which time it becomes rock hard. After an hour, you are supposed to wrestle with it until it becomes some sort of flattened disk that you can press into a tart pan (I used a pie pan- philistine that I am). Then you prick it and line it with parchment paper and place pie weights or dried beans on it and bake it for 15 mins at 400º. I use foil and skip the weights, as they are really un-necessary. The filling is made of sugar, lime zest, lime juice, ground macademia nuts, eggs and melted butter. I baked the damn crust for 15 minutes and it smelled wonderful- like a shortbread cookie. I let it cool and then poured in the filling. When I went to put it back in the oven, however, I had overestimated the amount of cooling that had taken place and almost dropped the pan because it felt very hot on my BARE HANDS. So some of the filling spilled up over the pan and onto the crust- I tried to fix it the best I could. Back into the oven it went. It smelled delicious- I could just picture it in all of its yummy lime-ocity, topped with whipped cream. I kept an eye on the time and peeked in at it from time to time. When the timer rang and I opened the oven door, it was like looking at the Penelope of pies.
Why do I do it? Why do I fall for it every time? The Silver Palate has once again let me down! It's my Lucy holding a football and I, Charlie Brown go running to kick it EVERY TIME, knowing full well that she'll yank it away at the last minute!

Well, I am here to say: Fuck You, Silver Palate!

7 Comments:

Blogger Sunshine said...

Girlfriend, I need to introduce you to my two best friends Paula Deen and Barefoot Contessa. NEVER a failed recipe and stuff looks like it is supposed to.

Come, food process with me....

2/17/2008 10:56 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Even though I bake all the time, I almost never do a real pie crust. I prefer crumb crusts, really - much easier. I do have to say, though, that I love my food processor and use it quite often - the cooking shows I watch (Good Eats, Nigella Lawson, Barefoot Contessa, Everyday Italian) make good use of theirs, too.

I'm so sorry - there really is nothing like being let down by something that's supposed to be sweet and yummy.

2/18/2008 6:13 AM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

The thing of it is, I can make a pie crust like nobody's business. I can follow a recipe, it's just this particular cookbook that fails me every time.
I do love me some Paula Deen!

2/18/2008 7:21 AM  
Blogger Professor J said...

I never cook anything out of silver palate except for the carrot cake. OMG--it's great! My sympathies.

2/18/2008 9:19 AM  
Blogger Les said...

I know how you feel! This is exactly how I feel about the Barefoot Contessa's cookbooks. I have tried dozens of her recipes and have only found maybe one or two that are worth making a second time. However, the gorgeous photos sucker me every and I think, "OK, maybe this one will be a winner!" Sigh.

2/18/2008 3:27 PM  
Blogger Adeline said...

hahahahaa sorry, it seems rude to laugh at your pie, its just that i am right there with you, and I got silver palate from a jerky ex boyfriend and based on this story i think i will burn it.


i have more than one failed shi shi recipe under my belt, i cant even do frosting right.

but its like in Meet the Robinsons "hooray I failed! that means I learned something! with success, well that happens not so much..."

2/19/2008 10:10 PM  
Blogger Bellezza said...

Silver Palate and Joy of Cooking have never been my favorites. They are complicated and often fail; and I'm a good cook! My favorites are my 1950's Betty Crocker, Best of Colorado, and silly enough, Best of Weight Watchers. I'm not watching my weight go down on that last one, but they are truly delicious.

2/24/2008 7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home