Chuchería

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Baby Steps

Barbara Kingsolver said in one of her recent books that we can all do our part at conserving precious natural resources by making just one meal at home that is from locally grown and/or organic ingredients. It seems reasonable enough, although in the middle part of the country, where I am, it's pretty slim pickin's in the winter. I have visions of cabbage, beets, rootabegas and dried mushrooms, which wouldn't be so bad for Mr. T and I, but I'm sure the girls would protest. We have a farmers market that has just recently started a monthly indoor market- locally grown wines, meat, baked goods, a few cabbages and turnips. I think we could all make the effort- just one day a week.

2 Comments:

Blogger Adeline said...

the book she wrote about this got my husband and I talking alot.

she has a good interview on npr about her book.

3/20/2008 9:24 PM  
Blogger HappyChyck said...

Thanks for reminding me that I've been wanting to read her book.

The idea of eating locally grown has been idea that I've run across quite a bit lately. I think if I ate only locally grown foods, your diet and mine would be quite different--and it might be anyway. We don't even really have own own water! To me, locally grown means that it comes from California...

3/21/2008 9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home