Chuchería

Friday, March 21, 2008

Friday Forum


So what's your take on the Easter Bunny? It's not really like Santa and I definitely think kids quit the Easter Bunny before they quit Santa. Is it a man-sized rabbit who comes and leaves candy? Is it a magical rabbit? What's up with the hiding? I could never really get a handle on just who the Easter Bunny really was. And, the mall Easter Bunny? Where you sit on his lap and get your picture taken? Is creepy. I never ever subjected my children to that.

This is one holiday I've never quite gotten a hold of my traditions. We dye eggs, we have the baskets, most years we do some sort of egg hunt, we go to church, we have a ham (although one year I made brunch instead) and usually asparagus. For several years running I made hot cross buns, which sounded, smelled and looked a lot better than they tasted. My grandmother always used to make lamb-shaped cakes for all her friends and neighbors. She bequeathed the pan to me, so I've made one several times. They're cute- you color coconut green to make "grass" for it to sit in. We don't usually get together with the whole family, although when we were first married it seemed like we did.

What do you all do? Ham? Lamb? Brunch? What does the bunny bring? He always brings Peeps, which we like after they've sat out and gotten slightly stale. Jelly beans, of course, and some sort of chocolate eggs. We have a local candy store that makes these football-sized chocolate eggs (hollow) that are filled with chocolates. Yum.

What else goes in the basket? I always used to give sidewalk chalk and bubbles and jumpropes, but they are a bit past that now. Last year I think they each got a movie.

So, do tell. What are your family's Easter traditions? What do you do? What do you eat?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Molly said...

Well, we usually end up finding plastic eggs filled with rotting candy hidden in unusual spots a few months after Easter, but we don't plan it that way.

3/22/2008 2:25 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Bluebird said...

When your family consists of hubby and you (no kids, just cats) traditions really aren't in the picture. In fact, I overheard some of my students talking about what they wanted in their Easter baskets the other day and it took me a few moments to realize what they were talking about - I think I got my last Easter basket nearly 30 years ago!

3/22/2008 9:45 PM  
Blogger Mrs. G. said...

Easter is our most low key holiday-perhaps since we are heathens. We eat candy and stay in our pajamas. We ate grilled cheese sandwiches. I know, we're lame.

3/24/2008 9:06 PM  
Blogger Sojourner said...

WOW! I haven't seen a lamb cake since I was a kid. My mother used to make them- an Italian tradition (as well as Greek, and I think Mexican). She had a beautiful cast iron mold. She did away with traditions when she and my father divorced and probably threw the mold in the trash if I know her.

Most of the Easter traditions ie the Easter Bunny, etc. actually are leftovers from the pagans. The conquering Christians let them incorporate their traditions into Christian celebrations to get them to sign up. That's why we have Christmas in December (Jesus was probably born in June).

I get to have a family because I have a partner with 3 kids (adult), and we have them over for ham, though I prefer lamb. No easter baskets or egg hunts cause they're "too old for that" and there are no grandkids yet.

3/27/2008 11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home