Chuchería

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Tardy Party

I am having a terrible time with students in my Feral class coming late to class. Our school doesn't have a specific tardy policy in place other than "late to your class=your problem, you deal with it". So it's up to each teacher to issue detentions or other consequences. I haven't ever had such a problem. One kid- the one who is kind of a sociopath, comes late every damn day- and to top it off, we've got lunch in the middle of the class period and he comes back late from lunch as well. I've issued detentions, which he has not served. I've called home and been ASSURED by his mom that he would serve his detentions on Monday. He acts like I'm moving the clock hands on purpose just so he's late. Never mind the 2 bells that go off- the one-minute warning bell and the actual "you need to have your ass to class" bell. Then the kid wants to negotiate and serve before school. Eff that, I don't have to be there until 7:30, I usually get there at about 7:15. Like I want to start my day with him.

So I ask you: what to do with the Frequent Fliers? Do I keep issuing detentions? I'm beginning to feel like that idiot principal in The Breakfast Club who keeps giving Judd Nelson's character more and more Saturdays in detention.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Have you got any leverage with the kid? Anything that he cares about that can be taken away?

3/14/2008 7:53 AM  
Blogger Mrs. G. said...

I don't see what else you can. I would just keep playing hard ball. It so sounds like he's testing you. Sigh.

3/14/2008 5:51 PM  
Blogger Adeline said...

I have a teacher friend that actually eats lunch with the kids. I can't imagine anything more miserable than this, but she swears it works. At my old school if they didnt serve detentions, they got saturday school, and if they didn't go to saturday school they did hunt the kids down and put them in In school suspension. i appreciated that, but it sometimes still didn't work in correcting behavior.

i have a teacher friend also who humiliates the offending student, gently frequently, but she does it with language learners who can't turn a phrase in english as well, that and she is not well liked.

i keep them a minute after class, i make them wash my desks, i hold them outside in the hall, i start taking away these participation points...all these are just standard fare teacher tricks, i think each person has to find what will work for them...

i kind of become the sort of pain in their butt that they are in mine. i am not sure i feel it is the best way to handle it...

3/14/2008 10:20 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

When punishment doesn't work, I try to go the other way and find something reward them with if they what they are supposed to do. I know this is rewarding them for something they are supposed to do anyway, but sometimes when you punish and punish they have no reason to do well.

3/15/2008 8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home