Chuchería

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Teacher Talk Tuesday

We have the rest of this week and all of next week, which includes Finals, before Spring Break. Our kids are nutty. They will not shut up for love nor money. They have no idea they are talking. They just sit and open their mouths and sound and words come out. Amazing, really, save for the fact that it makes me want to place my head in the doorway and close the door on it repeatedly.
I have kids who continue to be absent and do no work. How the hell do they expect to pass? One boy who has missed about 16 days - maybe 5 of them legitimately- handed his messy notebook to another student to give to me. Is it bad that I refused to look through it? I told him he was more than welcome to SHOW me his missing work, but I wasn't going to go on a scavenger hunt to find it. He was here yesterday, gone today. I don't know why he's even bothering at this point, since he had like a 17%.
I also have several music kids who are leaving on a trip tomorrow and will return Monday. Great timing, that, especially given all the other lost instructional time we've endured this term.
Lord, just get me through.

3 Comments:

Blogger HappyChyck said...

Have I told you how much of a disaster this quarter has been for my students and me because of lost instructional time? LOL.

Our administrators talk to us about universal practices. Here we blog about universal student behaviors. It amazes me how across the country we have the same issues!

The student teacher talked to the failing students yesterday about their grades. She had some interesting reactions from them. One student told her that he didn't think that 14 missing assignments was really that many. He and the 17% kid might be hanging out together...

3/12/2008 10:19 PM  
Blogger Adeline said...

I have one class that talks incessantly as you describe. It's as though they have forgotten they are at school, and they are at a party, they vaguely resent me for calling their attention to start or order the class in anyway. And the next class is dead silent, every day, emotionless and silent (except for one student who occasionally shows up, perambulates and visits with everyone to exchange insults, inspect the pics on their binder and is exasperated by requirements to get him to at least stop for a moment from his social time). It is a very strange juxtaposition.

3/12/2008 10:51 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Oh, Honey - HOW I feel this!

We have 11 week terms at TCC. We're in week 10 right now. I've got a darling who came to me - on Monday of week 10, mind you - in a complete state of panic because he CAN'T fail my class or he loses his internship.

He's got a 45.3 GPA.

In week 10.

I met with him yesterday and gave him his entry in my gradebook. I also ripped him a new one about coming to me in WEEK TEN about something that he should have come to me with in, oh, I don't know, week THREE?! How about coming to class once in a while, while you're at it?

I told him that the absolute BEST he could hope for from me is a D, and that's only IF he gets all his work to me, INCLUDING the research paper and writing journals that he never handed in, by Monday. If I don't get the work, he doesn't get his internship.

GAH

3/13/2008 6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home