Chuchería

Thursday, March 20, 2008




Thirteen Ways that Mrs. T is kind of "old school".

1. Sometimes I say things like "because I said so" (to my own children) and "let's have more work and less talk" (to my students).

2. My preferred soft drink is Coke (classic).

3. I make my own pie crust.

4. I think thank you notes are a must.

5. I've never used a tanning bed.

6. I enjoy listening to recordings of old-time radio shows like Fibber McGee and Molly and Jack Benny.

7. The t.v. is not on during dinner, which is usually eaten in the dining room, unless it's spring or summer and then on the porch.

8. I think if you're the newbie at a job, you need to show up early the first few weeks.

9. I still can't call my friends' parents by their first names, and with many school friends of my own children, they call me Mrs. - it's more of a reflection on the school climate.

10. I think Seven and 7 is a fine drink.

11. I think talking on a cell phone whilst (I love the word "whilst")shopping is incredibly tacky.

12. I own a punch bowl and use it. Ditto about 20 of those glass "snack sets" ladies had in the 50's and 60's for bridge club and bridal showers. It's a rectangular plate with a little place for a matching punch cup. Some of the plates are other shapes- but you get the idea.

13. I am strangely picky about the pencils I use. I prefer Ticonderoga No.2 (the yellow ones with the green metal band around the eraser). I prefer that they be pointy-pointy, sharpened with a manual pencil sharpener, not hand-held, and not electric.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Mrs. Chili must be old school, too. You and I are even on 1, 2 (though I like diet), 3, 4, 5, 6 (though I don't listen to the radio shows, I DO have the Andrews Sisters and Duke Ellington on my iPod - I think that counts, don't you?), 7, 9 (I make my college kids call me Mrs. Chili - I'm the only prof. who does), and 11. 9 out of 13 makes us pretty compatible, I think!

3/21/2008 5:25 AM  
Blogger HappyChyck said...

It's too bad that many of these things have to make you "old school" instead of a lovely combination sensible and easy-going!

3/21/2008 9:54 AM  
Blogger Bellezza said...

It's amazing how much I agree with you! Coke Classic for sure! "More work, less talk" for sure! (Which even applies to those on their cell phones while shopping.) I buy the black pencils (I think the name starts with an "M") because I can easily identify if it's in the wrong hands: one of my students! And, I'll never buy another electric sharpener again. I can't stand the noise, or the abuse it gets in my classroom before it grinds to a halt.

3/21/2008 10:12 PM  
Blogger Professor J said...

I love those snack sets. I used to have several, myself.

3/23/2008 8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home