Chuchería

Monday, March 10, 2008

The Wind Blew Us Back Via ChicagoDes Moines in the Middle of the Night


In addition to traveling to Des Moines and back on Friday for the basketball game, we also went to Des Moines yesterday for the Wilco show. It's about a 3 hour trip one way.
Before the show, we ate at a Bosnian restaurant. There is a fairly large Bosnian community in Des Moines, I guess they don't mind the Iowa winters. Anyway, the food was tasty- lots of grilled, spicy meat and spongy Bosnian flatbread. The only other customers were other Bosnians. I love small ethnic restaurants- especially when the menu says things like "Sandwiches (it come with the French fries)". It feeds my inner ESL teacher! When I taught ESL, it used to make me kind of sad when our kids would test out of ESL and stop saying their ESL-isms. It was very endearing to me.

After our tasty Cevapci and something else that I could neither say nor spell if my life depended on it and equally tasty Burek, we headed to the Val Air Ballroom for the Wilco show. In addition to being a FANTASTIC show- starting out mellow and introspective and finishing up with my favorites and coming out for 2, count'em, 2 encores, it was also a great night for people watching. There were old people, young people, people with kids, pregnant women, people who brought their 80's hair and clothes with them. There was one woman who stood for the entire show, even though she was at a table and could have sat down, she sang along to every single song, danced (badly) and had this big goofy grin on her face the whole time. At one point, she was standing on her chair, just a singin' away- she looked like she really thought the band was singing to her. She was like a trainwreck, though- couldn't keep my eyes off her!
VERY short night, quite tired today, but definitely worth it!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

BOSNIAN food, huh? This is one of the things I DISlike about living in New England: about as diverse as we get with restaurants is the occasional Thai place...

3/12/2008 5:24 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I saw Wilco maybe 10 years ago and they were such a good live band... not that many are!

3/12/2008 10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home