Chuchería

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Earth Moved

First of all, many thanks to those who offered advice and suggestions regarding my upcoming travel, and to those who simply wished me well.

As for the bomb threat last week, nothing happened, but on Friday, we were all awakened at about 4:30 by a freak earthquake. I have all my necklaces hanging on this vanity in our bedroom and I woke up to them shaking, as if a cat had just jumped off of it. I looked over at it and saw no cats, thought that was odd and went back to sleep. It wasn't until later when someone asked if I'd felt the earthquake that morning that it dawned on me.

Want to know what you get on a Friday that starts with an earthquake, during a full moon, the day after a poorly written bomb threat? You get a whole lot of crazy. Boy was I glad to say goodbye to that week! I then spent a crazy amount of time correcting papers that had piled up- ugh.

In other news, I just read Water for Elephants and I am telling you all to go read this book. It has romance, mystery, love, murder, and it all takes place during the Great Depression- in a circus. What an amazing book- it hooked me right away- I read it in 3 days. My one book group chose books for the year- and I'm pretty excited about them. I'll post the list later- I'm too lazy to go downstairs and get the list right now. I will say that one of the books is Pillars of the Earth, which intrigues me to no end, especially after visiting incredible cathedrals in Toledo and Seville last summer. (Sadly we did not get to visit the cathedral in Segovia- only the Castle, which is really cool)

Spring has definitely sprung- the grass is finally green and we've finally rid ourselves of the oak leaves that have plagued our lawn since they finally fell at the beginning of December just in time for the first snowfall.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

I heard about your earthquake on NPR last week, and I'd have called you if I had your number (I ended up calling Grammar Snob instead, who lives in your general neighborhood, and she said she was fine).

Spring has sprung here, too. I'm about to post another picture of The Tree - how's yours doing?

4/24/2008 6:13 AM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

Thanks for thinking of us, Mrs. Chili! Next time call! (I'll email you my #, and I seriously hope there is no next time, not because I don't want you to call, but because I could do without the earth quaking.)
The tree doesn't look like much from afar, but up close you can see the beginnings of buds. It's about 2 weeks late this year. Its only saving grace right now are all the daffodils and hyacinths planted underneath it. I'm about to post a pic as well.

4/24/2008 6:30 AM  
Blogger HappyChyck said...

Crazy week, indeed!

Can't wait to hear some of your book recommendations...

4/24/2008 3:22 PM  
Blogger NYC Educator said...

You'll like Pillars of the Earth. It's another one you can't put down. There's a sequel now, too, which is not as spectacular, but just as hard to put down.

4/26/2008 3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home