Chuchería

Thursday, April 10, 2008

España

And I was doing so well! I kinda dropped the Blog 365 ball and have cut myself some slack. Some days, I just do not have a post. 3 months was pretty good- now I will just relax a bit. I was getting a little ocd about posting.

So, it looks like I'm going to Spain. I will be taking a graduate level course (or I will be taking a course for which I will receive graduate credit) that is designed for teachers of Spanish. I will live with a Spanish family and class will be held at the University of Extremadura. We just got word Monday evening that the class will run. So now I have the task of getting my plane ticket. I also need to take into consideration that the town where I'll be staying (Cáceres) is several hours away by train; so I'll then have to allow for travel time between the train station and airport, as well as being at the airport 3(is it 3 for international flights?) hours prior to departure time. I have to be in Madrid by 2:00 on June 13 and will leave Cáceres at any time on the 27th. I'm having a minor freak out. Does anyone have any advice on purchasing my ticket online? I've done it many times for domestic flights, but I'm a bit afraid that with all my time constraints, I may have to go the route of a travel agent. Help! (No Debby Downers, please. I'm looking for help, not "you'd get a cheaper price if you'd booked in January". )

12 Comments:

Blogger Profesora de español said...

I think online is just as good, given that travel agents basically use an online system to find flights. However, he/she may have better insight about ground transportation over there. Buena suerte!

4/10/2008 5:48 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

How CRAZY EXCITING!! Bring your laptop and BLOG, Girl - I'm going to be living vicariously through you as you travel and learn in a foreign country!

Alas, I have no advice for you; Mr. Chili handles all our travel arrangements (though I do know how to do it, it's been so long since I have that I've got nothing helpful to offer you).

Keep us posted!

4/10/2008 7:50 PM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

Prof. de esp.- I think I will go ahead and book online- I've always had good experiences. I can even book my train ticket online as well.

mrs chili- oh, that I HAD a laptop. Mr. T's is property of his employer, so I have carte blanche at home, but not so much for the oversees. I'm hoping that since I'll be at a university, I will have access to computers there and can keep on bloggin.

4/10/2008 8:15 PM  
Blogger HappyChyck said...

Cool for you! I do hope you can find some time and means to blog!

I'm adding you to the long list of teachers I know who are going out of country this summer. I WAS chalking it up to the fact that they are all young, unmarried, and accountable to only themselves. 8-0 <----That's my home alone face.

4/10/2008 8:49 PM  
Blogger Sojourner said...

I have no advice as I have never travelled abroad. But I am a bit envious. I wish I was a bit more adventurous.

Good luck with all the arrangements. I have had great luck booking online for domestic travel, also.

Namaste.

4/10/2008 9:44 PM  
Blogger Pissed Off said...

I let my travel agent book my flights all the time. There is no extra fee and it saves lots of stress.

4/11/2008 3:01 PM  
Blogger Professor J said...

Have great fun in Spain! I can't wait to hear all about it.

4/12/2008 7:43 PM  
Blogger Miss Señora said...

Oooooh congratulations! I LOVE Spain and you will too! My warning to you: Do not, under ANY circumstances, eat Chinese food there. Otherwise, have an amazing time!

4/13/2008 3:13 PM  
Blogger lbilak said...

Sra T
Have an absolutely fantastic time.
I was in Madrid during my undergrad(Universidad Complutense)
I think we should make a blogroll of Spanish teachers who are writing about our travels this summer. I will be heading back to Costa Rica myself.
You can email me at lindabilak@gmail.com and I will compile a list of bloggers.
Buen Viaje!
Linda

4/16/2008 8:45 AM  
Blogger Kevin Charnas said...

Umm...if you need an "assistant" to carry your bags or something, I travel well. And I can wear something skimpy.

I posted something just for you today.

4/16/2008 1:51 PM  
Blogger abernier said...

One of my colleagues, who travels all the time on very little money, just booked flights for her two in-their-twenties sons to Spain and back. I'll ask her during lunch for tips.

4/17/2008 7:34 AM  
Blogger Future Spanish Teacher said...

Te aconsejo que uses orbitz. Siempre se encuentran los boletos mas baratos allá.

Por favor dime cómo pasa tu clase; asistiré a la U de Granada el año que viene, y todavía me falta ni siquiera una idea de que yo debiera anticipar.

Buena suerte¡!

4/17/2008 11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home