Chuchería

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Road to Crazytown

Pardon my hiatus last week. Apparently, all hell decided to break loose last week at my school.
Let's see, Monday there was a huge fight between 1st and 2nd Block in which a boy pushed another girl down the stairs. He is now up for expulsion. Minutes after that and one floor below, there was another huge fight. I was in my room not doing hall duty, I know, bad me, when I heard the din in the hallway change - sort of a rise in pitch, reaching near hysteria. I opened my door to see my 6'4" principal barely able to hold back one of the kids and a police officer practically lying on top of the other kid to hold him down. Whew. All of this in an 8 minute passing period.
I had to come back to school in the evening for the Junior/Senior awards ceremony. I parked my car in the usual parking lot, left at around 8:15. I checked my school email from home later that evening to find out that there had been a shooting in said parking lot that afternoon at around 4:30. Holy shit! A shooting. With actual guns. Shot out the window of one staff member's car-$2600 worth of damage- insurance will cover, except for the deductible, of course. Who will pay that? I think the district should be responsible for it, but we'll see how that goes.
Tuesday there were 3 huge fights at school- 2 girls got suspended, then one of them decided to come back to school-texted her sister, who was in class and subsequently left in the middle of that class to go fight someone outside. WTF?
In the meantime, we had the honor and privilege of having the youngest survivor of Schindler's List come and speak to us. How amazing was that????
Thursday, a man was shot to death at the IHOP- going to work.
Friday, everyone on my floor was mysteriously hustled into the auditorium during 2nd block because a container holding an unknown substance was found in the hallway. Keep in mind that we've been having all kinds of crazy bomb threats scrawled on our bathroom walls the last month. So, they called in the Bomb Squad to make sure that we weren't all going to be blasted to smithereens. 20 minutes later we were all dismissed back to class. The superintendent came, there were about 5 or 6 cops . And for what? Well, one of the science classes had done experiments using a calorimeter. One boy was trying to put his in his friend's locker and it accidentally got left on the floor next to the locker. The funny thing is that this kid is an itty-bitty slip of a boy- probably weighs 95 pounds soaking wet and is the nicest, most unlikely culprit. I guess they cleared him of any charges, since it was completely without malice.
So, by the time Saturday rolled around? I was ready for some down time.
8 more days ....

8 Comments:

Blogger MsAbcMom said...

I know that you are counting down the days. Hang in there.

5/27/2008 8:56 PM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

Yikes! Need a bulletproof vest for a birthday gift this year???

Summer's almost here!!!

5/27/2008 11:39 PM  
Blogger Miss Profe said...

I co-sign with sunshine re: the vest.

Bless you!

5/28/2008 8:35 AM  
Blogger Adeline said...

ay caramba. so sorry! how scary and yes enough to make one actually wonder about public high school teaching.

bust out ye olde kevlar slip to go under that teaching frock.

5/28/2008 5:18 PM  
Blogger Mrs. G. said...

Let's hope you survive them! Jeez.

5/28/2008 6:15 PM  
Blogger Principal said...

I enjoyed your blog. I must say I have seen a lot of wild stuff, but your week was a bit much. Bless your heart.

5/28/2008 8:53 PM  
Blogger Sojourner said...

Geez, Mrs. T I am sorry you had such a rough week. The natives are restless but it sounds like your town could have a rough summer. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

5/28/2008 10:36 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Bluebird said...

You know, I often tell stories about what it's like in middle school to non-teaching friends and I often get the comment, "You have got to be making that up!"

Uh, no, I'm not.

And then when they realize that all this crazy crap happens in one day....well, they still can't believe it.

People have no idea...

5/29/2008 9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home