Chuchería

Monday, May 05, 2008

Tree and Random Monday thoughts



You can barely see the little green buds, but they are there, along with some eager dogwod blossoms. Every couple of years, this tree is amazing when it's in full bloom.

Here's another, up-close and personal"




In other randomness:

- Is it just me, or are we being surveyed to death? Every time I answer the phone it's another marbles-in-the-mouth doing market research. I used to do them, then I got a small case of paranoia and wondered if the people conducting the surveys were really who they say they are and just what exactly are they doing with this information and could it ever be held against me. And, I'm just sick of it, so now I say "We don't do those." and hang up.

- Although I am big fan of The Leftover- a huge believer in the "Cook Once, Eat Twice" philosophy, I think food reheated in the microwave is kind of gross. So, I've discovered that using my huge honking Pampered Chef non-stick skillet is perfect for reheating most leftovers. Just put your stuff in and put the lid on. Sometimes you need to add water or broth- depends on what it is Tonight I had leftover roasted potatoes, and grilled chicken- enough for the 4 of us. We had a Greek salad and pita, which we wanted warm and I didn't want to use the oven, so I wrapped it in foil and just stuck it on top of the chicken and potatoes. Worked like a charm, and I didn't heat up the kitchen with the oven.

- Speaking of Greek salad, here's a recipe:

romaine
feta cheese
kalamata olives
tomatoes (I use grape tomatoes- they have a good taste even in the winter)
red onion, thinly sliced
cucumber
pepperoncini

Assemble the salad to your liking.

dressing

good quality, fresh Extra Virgin Olive Oil
red wine vinegar
oregano
garlic
salt & pepper

Pour oregano into the palm of your hand- it should be several tablespoons. Rub it between your palms into a glass jar. Rubbing dried herbs releases the flavor. Crush several cloves of the garlic and add to the jar. Salt and pepper to taste. Add oil and vinegar. Last but not least, add a couple of tablespoons of the pepperoncini brine. Shake it all up. Enjoy. It's good on the salad, of course, but equally good on warm pita, chicken. I would like my casket to be lined with this dressing, please.

I use a 3-1 ratio of oil to vinegar. For a cup of dressing, use 3/4 cup of oil, 1/4 cup of dressing. For more, I use 1 1/2 cups oil to 1/2 cup of vinegar. (I'm sure you are all smart enough to do the math, but it took me a while to figure this out.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

I love that you're posting pictures of the tree. I can't wait for ours to explode; it's really gorgeous.

I have a photo of the tree (with a two-year-old Punkin Pie sitting under it) in full bloom on my desk. I may post that, too, for comparison's sake....

5/05/2008 6:54 PM  
Blogger Coco said...

Hi!
Stopping by via MsABC Mom : )
I'm also a teacher! : )
3rd grade : )

Yes, spring is here...yay!!

Your salad sounds Yummy!
Thank you for sharing the recipe : )

Take Care!

5/06/2008 7:37 PM  
Blogger Pendullum said...

Spring has sprung....
And nothing better than a good Greek salad to watch the tree buds!

5/08/2008 9:42 AM  
Blogger Sojourner said...

Making me hugry Mrs. T

5/10/2008 6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home