Chuchería

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Here they come.....

Dear Helicopter Parents:

Yes, I mean YOU! You, who "hover", thus earning yourself the quippy title "Helicopter Parents". You, who have the greatest of intentions and want whatever is best for your child, as long as it means that they get good grades and possibly extra credit. Notice that I did not say "earn" good grades, because, while many of you pay lip service to the whole "getting vs. earning" of grades, the truth is that you desperately want your children to get All A's All the Time. You spend an inordinate amount of time looking at the online gradebook we have been forced to use gladly employ so that you will quit asking us for an updated grade report every other whip-stitch for your benefit. You send me "concerned" emails when your kid's grade dips below the coveted and much more acceptable "A". You express "disappointment" because your kid was "doing so well". You wonder if your kid can do extra credit in a last-ditch effort to pull up the percentage points to the 90's. See, that way, it appears that your kid is doing really well in Spanish, when really, he's basically a B student with average language skills who could do much better if he studied more and didn't rush to get last night's homework done during the first 5 minutes of class.

Please loosen your apron strings a bit and let your kid earn the grade he earns. He's old enough to operate a large, gasoline-powered vehicle. I think he can handle his Spanish 2 class. It will be ok.

Very snarkily yours,

Mrs T

9 Comments:

Blogger HappyChyck said...

I love your sharp tongue!

6/01/2008 4:06 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Oh, A-MEN! I actually get accused of being a bad parent because I REFUSE to hover. My job is to teach my kids to get along in the world without me, and I try to give them as many age-appropriate opportunities to do that as I can manage.

6/01/2008 4:09 PM  
Blogger Adeline said...

i guess that is one plus to esl kids, their parents are grateful for anything and never fuss, really. but i do remember those tense moments with kids and their parents.

6/01/2008 4:29 PM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

My oldest had a piss poor year this year with the suckass grades. Who is to blame? He is, he didn't not try hard enough, study enough or give proper attention to homework. And it wasn't because the teachers didn't bend over backwards to help him, they did, as did we as his parents.

He should get A's. But he most certainly didn't EARN them this past year...next year he better or I'm shipping him off to military school...I'm half kidding, *snort*

6/01/2008 4:57 PM  
Blogger KJERRINGA MOT STRØMMEN said...

Parents who micromanage their kids grades - so true. The AP listserv recently published a letter from a teacher with a parent who threatened to sue unless his son's B- was changed to an A as he disputed the District-wide grading rubric as being "subjective". And apparently the principal complied. Like a discrete point multiple choice test is going to be the best measure of communicative skills!

6/01/2008 8:28 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

Oh, I do wish you could send that out as a mass e-mail, to all helicopters everywhere. The young 'uns would be SO much sweeter and perhaps less entitled if their parents got the "what-for" given to them every now and again.

6/02/2008 8:37 PM  
Blogger OKP said...

Amen again! I will think of you when I deliver this speech to an angry Russian parent in two weeks. His kid is in honors. A 'B' is a great great for 9th grade honors -- especially my class.

Apparently in Russia, there are no Bs. Or in this household, at least.

I'm going to print this out and keep it in my wallet -- that way I can sound a bit more eloquent when I have to take this meeting.

Unless, Gott en Himmel, the kid studies for the final and earns that A-.

6/02/2008 10:58 PM  
Blogger Sojourner said...

Love this post! Not a teacher and don't have kids but I have seen the hoverers. Some of my friends who are parents could benefit from this.

6/05/2008 8:53 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Bluebird said...

You rock sister!

6/05/2008 9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home