Chuchería

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Spain Post #2

It´s quite hot here right now. 34 to 40 degrees centigrade, which I have trouble making the conversion.
We visited a museum on the outskirts of town of Wolf Vollett who was a German artist in the tradition of Yoko Ono. He made a lot of "happenings". Very interesting. His philosophy was "La vida = arte= La vida". It was in this national park type of place called Barruecos, which are these humongous rocks. The land here is very harsh, hence the name "Extremadura" (extrema , extreme and dura, hard).
The way of life here is so much different. My days have pretty much been like this:
1. Wake up at 7 or 7:30. Drink my cafe con leche out of a big bowl and eat some pan.
2. Walk to our meeting point, which means I walk through this beautiful park called Canovas, which I think means canopy. It´s got palm trees and benches and a fountain, so pretty.
3. Catch the bus to the university.
4. Have classes with amazing professors who are teaching us all about Spain in the 21´st century.
5. Go home for the main meal at around 2. Have a siesta.
6. Go back to class or do something with the group.

So far it has been great. We went to Salamanca yesterday, which is sooo beautiful. We went to Trujillo today, which if it had been much cooler would have been much more enjoyable.

More later.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sojourner said...

WOW Mrs T! You are writing us from Spain! You are too cool. Sounds like you are having a great time. Hope it continues to go well.

6/22/2008 6:27 PM  
Blogger Bellezza said...

Oh, you make me long for Europe even more than I normally do. Which is quite a bit! I'm wondering if your classes are in Spanish, which I'm sure you're fluent it. There's never enough learning, or coffee con leche, for me!

6/23/2008 7:32 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Oh, I could totally live that life. Get up, have a leisurely breakfast, walk to school, listen to amazing lectures, go home, eat, nap, and go back and do it again!

I remember, back in the 70s, there were little PSA ads about the metric system. I can still remember part of the lyrics to the little song; "Meter (METER!) / is a little more than a yard / If you think about it that / way it's really not so hard / Celsius (CELSIUS!) / temperature scale you see / a summer day's about 25 / a cold day's minus three (AWWW!)

6/23/2008 9:38 AM  
Blogger Hoopskidoodle said...

A gram. A gram? About the weight of a single raisin. About the same as a paper clip, now isn't that amazin'?

2/11/2009 6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home