Chuchería

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Spain Post #3

A few observations on the day to day life here in Cáceres:

1. The woman really do use fans. Seriously. They carry them as sort of an accessory, like an umbrella, but they do use them.

2. I´m seeing lots of people dressed as though they are not afraid of color. They love their shoes here! I myself have bought 3 pair.

3. It is not uncommon to see Spanish women dressed in dresses and little heels as they are out and about. We´ve seen several weddings and boy are they all dressed to the nines!

4. People don´t walk around eating and drinking like we do. If you want a coffee, well, you go to a cafe or a bar and you have a coffee. They seem to take care of their things more so than we do. The conductor on the train will yell at you if you have your feet on the seat.

Did anyone see the Spain-Italy soccer game for the Euro Cup? They were 0-0 for the entire game and went into overtime. We were watching at a bar and then finally decided to leave because it was so late and we were afraid we´d be there all night. So, about halfway home, I heard this roar of people cheering and figured Spain had scored, but I didn´t hear anything else until I was almost home. There was this huge roar, people came out onto their balconies (where I live there are mostly apartments) and were cheering "ES PA Ñ A, ES PA Ñ A!" They were banging on pots and pans, people where honking their horns, lighting fire crackers, singing "Ole, ole, ole ole, me gusta España....", waving the Spanish flag, which they just don´t do here otherwise.It went on for about an hour and a half. So, so, cool to be part of it.

My new favorite snack is a piece of good bread, like French bread, sliced length-wise and toasted. Spread tomato puré on it, but not gopped on, a drizzle of olive oil and some thin slices of cheese, like manchego, which is like a milder parmesan and from sheep.

To answer Bellaza´s question, yes, my lectures are all in Spanish, so I´m learning lots.

I feel bad that I´ve not kept up with reading your blogs, but I´ll make up for it upon my return.

3 Comments:

Blogger Adeline said...

Mmmm, it all sounds so delicious.

6/25/2008 2:15 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Two things - One; that snack? YUM! Two; don't worry about keeping up with blogs. We'll still be here when you get back.

Keep having fun!

Love!

Chili

6/25/2008 7:09 AM  
Blogger Sojourner said...

I am not so much into soccer, but heard about the win and that it was indeed a huge big deal for the Spanish.

Sounds like a tasty snack. Sounds a little like an Italian snack, only using fresh chopped tomatoes instead of the puree and a little fresh (not aged) mozzarella on the side.

And, yup, we will be here when you get back.

6/30/2008 6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home