Chuchería

Monday, July 07, 2008

Firecracker, firecracker ...

Well, I blinked and there went June. Hope everyone had a good 4th. We kicked off the weekend by going to the Mississippi Valley Blues Fest. It's been around for about 20 years- in its early days it was free and rather seedy. I think Steppenwolf played one year, when I was in high school. It's always been held on the levee, along the river. There is a main stage and a tent stage. People bring their boats up close to the banks and enjoy live music and the comfort of their own private boat. You used to be able to bring in coolers, but they put the kabosh on that as well as upped the price from free to $18. Not bad for a day/evening of live music, but still pricey enough to consider not going. This year, they had to move the fest to higher, drier ground because of the crazy flooding. It was basically a street fest with the tent stage moved into the newly-renovated, historic Adler Theater. For me, I'm kind of "eh" on that. I like to hear the blues when it's HOT and humid and I'm in direct view of the Mississippi, a cold beer in my hand, the faint smell of cigarette smoke in the air. (Yes, I said cigarette smoke- when I'm outside, I actually kind of like the smell, as long as it's not too strong. It takes me straight back to my youth.) Besides being NOT on the river, it was actually kind of chilly- like in the mid 50's, which for July in Iowa is downright cold. We were, however, introduced to The Carolina Chocolate Drops, an immensely talented group of musicians from North Carolina. After that, we saw Otis Taylor and the Black Banjo Project, which as the term "trance blues" implies, was really hypnotic for this sleepy, still-jet-lagged girl. We capped off the night with some Elvin Bishop tunes.
Friday we hosted a barbeque at our house during the day, then fireworks at my mom's house. She doesn't actually do the fireworks, but she lives right by the park where the fireworks display is held every year. It's nice, we sit in her backyard and watch, not having to hobnob with the masses.
Last night we went to a baseball game- our team is a Class A, St.Louis Cardinals affiliate. Very exciting, as Ryne Sandburg was there, as coach for the Peoria Chiefs. We got our butts kicked 0-1, but it was still fun. The stadium is along the river, it's pretty, there's lots going on.
I'm trying to get caught up on laundry and sleep, as well as finish my assignments for my Spain class. I have to have it all done before Wed., when I leave for Nashville- the High Schools That Work conference. Is ANYone out there going to be there?

4 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Bluebird said...

Man, I wish I was going to be home in TN and could hook up with you, but alas, I'm up in OHio teaching summer camp for two weeks!

7/08/2008 5:18 PM  
Blogger CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

I'm not much for cigarette smoke, no matter how faint, but I don't mind the smell of pipe tobacco or even a good stogie!

7/09/2008 7:56 AM  
Blogger Pendullum said...

Belated happy Birthday to you...
And I know about time flying...
Geez, it goes so quick... But I guess it beats the alternative....
Hope you have a wonderful time in Nashville....

7/09/2008 10:24 AM  
Blogger The Vegas Art Guy said...

It's now cheaper for us to do a block party and light off fireworks than to see a show.

7/16/2008 11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home