Chuchería

Monday, October 13, 2008

A Monday Meme

So, I stole this from Mrs. Chili. It's a good one. Feel free to steal.

At a certain age women should: put on a few pounds. I'm not talking obesity, here, just a few extra pounds, because have you seen scrawny, skinny old ladies? It's not pretty. Also, I concur with Mrs. Chili on the belly shirts. I also think that tattoos in some places just don't age well. The saggy, baggy elephant comes to mind, only because at my 15th class reunion, the wife of one of my classmates had this whole jungle animal/safari tattooed around her entire midriff- she was showing it off in the ladies' room. All I could think was "what's that going to look like in 30 years?"

At a certain age men should: Realize they have reached a certain age and stop acting like they are 21. They should realize they look silly trying to flirt with women half their age. I also think that at a certain age, men should really stop considering having any more children. Think Tony Randall- fathering a child at age 70? Is that fair to a kid?

When I was a kid I thought I would: Grow up and move far, far away and lead an incredibly sophisticated life. Yeah, well. Here I am in my hometown and not so sophisticated. It's ok. I like it.

Now that I am older I wish: I would have appreciated my younger self. I was thinner (never thin, mind you, but not experiencing the spread that is my current self right now). I had more hair. I turned a few heads (not many, but a couple). I wish I would have had the confidence to do some things differently.

You know you are too old to party when: When sleep trumps sex. Oh, sorry, TMI?

You know you are too young to retire when: I don't think anyone is too young to retire, if "retire" means that you've put your time in, you receive some kind of pension and you are free to pursue other things like travel.

When I was in high school I listened to the music of: Let's see, I liked the Talking Heads, Simply Red, David Bowie, Depeche Mode, OMD, anything trendy and 80's ish. I liked John Cougar Mellencamp, as he was called in those days, Journey, Modern English, the Cure, Phil Collins, the Police, Sting.

Nowadays I find I like the music of: Beck, Joni Mitchell, Vampire Weekend, the Weepies, lots of stuff listed on my profile page.

On my last birthday I: turned 39. I ended up watching one of Claire's friends that day as a favor to her mom. The 4 of us walked up the street to the corner market that grills out every day at lunch. I was suffering from a bit of jet lag, as I had just gotten back from Spain.

On my next birthday I want to: have a big bash with lots of friends. I mean a BIG bash. BIG. Maybe with a band. A band, I tell you.

The first time I felt grown up was: When I traveled alone across the country by train to stay with my dad for a week. Long story- I tell you about it some other time.

The last time I felt like a kid was: At my grandma's house. She has that effect on me.

When I readA Prayer for Owen Meany it changed my life. Those are such powerful words, I hesitate to say that it changed my life. I did LOVE this book, though and laughed out loud and cried all they way through it. It made me examine faith and friendship and war. Good read.

Last year was: Are we talking about 2007 exclusively or the last school year or are we reflecting on 2008 already? I pick 2008. It has flown by. I got to go to Spain, which was amazing, both on a personal level and a professional as well. My mother in law's health took a nosedive and we continue to battle with that. My kids did well in school, have great friends and are a constant source of joy, amazement, frustration and love, love, love.

Next year I hope: we have a new president by the name of Barack Obama.

4 Comments:

Blogger Adeline said...

send me an invitation to your 40th, it sounds like a good time. a good time, i tell you!!

10/13/2008 10:57 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

"When sleep trumps sex." Uh-oh. This means I'm too old to party.

Can I come to your birthday bash? You know, the one with a band? I'll tell you; I'd forgo the band in favor of some SAND. Maybe of the pink, Bermudian variety. Yeah! That'd do it...

10/14/2008 2:24 PM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

RYC: I've realized that I kind of switch off mostly-Spanish days and mostly-English days. I guess once I get into one mode it's hard to switch back, so some days I start in Spanish and keep it up, but other days - especially when I'm going over grammar - I'll spend most of the class period in English.

I haven't done much with our Spanish Club, and I hate that Hispanic Heritage Month just flew past me. I'm telling myself I need to cut myself some slack and that I'll make up for it next year (y'know, after I have a club with members and everything, all set up at the beginning of the school year).

10/14/2008 10:49 PM  
Blogger NYC Educator said...

I think you'll get your wish about the President. Now start wishing for 60 Democratic seats in the Senate, not counting Lieberman, so that he can actually accomplish something.

10/21/2008 6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home