Chuchería

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Herding Cats- Now With "Intentionality"

What would go through your mind if you read the following statement?
"All literacy strategies are to be done with intentionality."
WTF? Itentionality? Are you freaking kidding me? Is that even a word?
Ok, I just looked it up at "AskOxford". It says that it is a derivative of intentional, which means "deliberate". Intentionality is the noun derivative. So, the statement "All literacy strategies are to be done with intentionality," would then mean that we are to do them deliberately? As opposed to accidentally?
Would anyone care to guess the origin of this ridiculous statement?
What? Did I hear someone suggest that it came from an inservice? Well, you'd be partially correct. You see, in an effort to make AYP (Adequate Yearly Progress, for those who didn't drink the Kool-Aid not in the know, we have these committees, of course, one of them being the Literacy Strategies Committee. They have this whole cache of "strategies" for us ALL (yes, even the PE teacher) to implement and we must document our having implemented all o' these strategies, because God Forbid they trust us to do our jobs. We must document that we've used 4 strategies in 2 weeks. The old logs used to be insanely complicated. The newer ones are much more streamlined, but have that inane, poorly written statement emblazoned across the top.
It annoys me for several reasons, not the least of which is the mere fact that it IS a ridiculous statement, but also the tone is a tad condescending. If I am going to be condescended upon, ("upon"? is that right? or is it "to"?), I at least want to be deserving of said condescension. And really, what's going to happen if I do a literacy strategy WITHOUT "intentionality"? Is it like making a promise with my fingers crossed behind my back? Is it like taking communion and not believing in the Real Presence of Christ? (well, that's a whole different post...) Is it like telling a lie? Does it make me a bad teacher? Will my students suffer? Huh? Huh? Huh?

In other ridiculousness, I told one of my extra boisterous classes today that trying to teach them was like herding cats. They thought it was funny. I was serious.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Social Reformer said...

i like the term "intentionality"

11/12/2008 6:47 AM  
Blogger Adeline said...

Forbid we should do something not deliberately and it should work. I hate accidental success. I agree, WTF, but there is so much silliness that goes on in those inservice things at least as I recall, that to parse out any single silliness, when there is just SO MUCH of it. but intentionality is as good a reason to rant as any.

and none of that accidental success, you... you, teachers you!

and if it were me, i would say condescended to. or does that sound condescending? sorry, it was done without intentionality.

11/14/2008 4:43 AM  
Blogger Mister Teacher said...

Well, obviously they're telling us to stop falling backassward into successful strategies!!

Hey, I hope you will submit something to this week's Carnival of Education!!

11/30/2008 8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home