Chuchería

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Sunday Snapshot

Growing up in the Midwest means being prepared to wear a parka over your Halloween costume. Some years it rained and was miserable. Other years there was just a welcome crispness in the air and we could wander the neighborhood freely wearing only our costume.
I remember my Trick-or-Treat experiences pretty well. There was always a house that gave out full-sized candy bars- I always missed it. Same with the house that gave caramel apples. (back in the days when that was still semi-okay). One house always gave apples, and one always gave out individual bags of popped popcorn. Some well-meaning person gave out homemade cookies, too, but they always ended up just being crumbs by the end of the evening. It seemed as though I got a truckload of the orange and black wrapped peanut butter taffy. I HATED it and gave all of those to my mom. A couple of years it seemed like I got an enormous amount of candy. My mom and I enjoyed it after dinner as we lounged in front of the tv together. Those little Sweet-tart packages with 3 candies in them were good for tv-watching. So was Double-Bubble and Pal gum, which was always much harder than the Double-Bubble.
Chalk it up to Global Warming or maybe just good luck, but my kids have never had to wear their winter coat over their costume. In fact, for several years running, the weather has been unseasonably warm. Here they are- ready for the candy-gettin:

They are dressed as a vampiress (?) and a zombie cheerleader, which to me is much more fun than being a princess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home