Chuchería

Thursday, November 06, 2008



Thirteen Movies I'd Watch Again and Again.... (not counting Christmas movies)

1.Home for the Holidays: I have mentioned before how watching this every Thanksgiving is a tradition for the Mr.and Mrs. T. It is hilarious, and touching and most of us will recognize a family member or 2 in the movie. I love Robert Downey Jr., pain in the ass that I'm sure he was to work with, I still have a soft spot in my heart for him. It's that Bad Boy thing I've got.

2. Moonstruck: I think I always secretly wanted to be an Italian girl from New York, so this movie spoke to me when it first came out. I love the cast, I love the soundtrack- even all the opera from La Boheme, which was the original Rent. So many funny lines from this- Olympia Dukakis says to her father as he is busily shoveling food from the table to the pack of crazy mongrel dogs he's always walking, "Old Man! You keep giving my food to those dogs, I'm gonna kick you til you're dead!" Yeah, we say that a lot at our house.

3. Raising Arizona: I don't think this movie could possibly be funnier. I don't think a day goes by that we don't make SOME reference from this movie. I love it when their swinger friends come over and Buford, the real smart one who knows his abc's is shown spray painting "F-A-R-T" on the side of the trailer.

4. The Breakfast Club: I don't get tired of this movie. I watch it whenever it's on tv- it's been interesting to have seen it as a teenager, the target audience, and then again as an adult. I love how they all bond, but when faced with what Monday will bring, several of them very honestly admit that come Monday, they will all slip back into their different groups to play their different roles. I think we've all had this happen/seen this happen, not necessarily in detention, but I know I see it when I've taken kids on trips. The kids connect and have a good time, but once the trip is over, they rarely maintain those friendships.

5. Auntie Mame: I posted about this movie last year. I love it- it's fun and quirky and Rosalind Russell is delightful.

6. Garden State: A brilliant movie with a fabulous soundtrack. Zac Braff plays a troubled young man who has spent a great deal of time being heavily medicated. He's trying to get in touch with who he is and what his place on the earth is. I love the Natalie Portman line about doing one thing that no one has ever done before. The shirt that matches the wall is too funny.

7. The Sound of Music: This movie is such a part of my childhood- back in the days when you had to wait for things to be shown on television. I even got to see it in the theater - they were doing some kind of a retro showing of it when I was like 7. I can sing all the songs. I thought Greta was sooo cute and wanted so much to be like Liesel.

8. Harry Potter: I know, there are 5, soon to be 6 and eventually 7 of them, but I like them all. They are intelligent and magical and for the life of me, I want to go live in England and be a teacher at Hogwarts. I suppose teachers in the wizarding world get just as exasperated with their students as I do, but I'd get to wave a magic wand and have cool stuff happen.

9. Ferris Bueller's Day Off: Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Such a funny, classic and classically delivered line, too bad I now think "Over-the-top Right-Winger" when I hear the name Ben Stein. I'd love to be able to do ALL those things on a hooky day. I love how he eventually wins over his crabby sister, played by the lovely Miss Jennifer Gray.

10. Steel Magnolias: So funny, so sad. I want to live in this funny little Southern town and hang out with those funny women. I like to watch this when I need a good cry.

11. My Big Fat Greek Wedding: "He's a vegetarian? Is ok. I make lamb." Whenever I don't know how to fix something, I always think of Mr. Portokalos and his Windex.

12. To Kill a Mockingbird: Atticus Finch is such an amazing character. When Scout brings Walter Cunningham home and he pours syrup all over his roast beef, he doesn't bat an eye. What beautiful lesson he taught Scout that day.

13. The Trouble With Angels: I don't know if many of you have even heard of this movie, let alone seen it, but it is a perennial favorite of mine. I watched it as a kid, and as a teenager and then recently saw it on cable. It's wacky, but it really gets to me at the end. I won't spoil it for you, but if you've seen it, you might see what I'm sayin.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Dukakis's line in that film STILL cracks me up.

I've not seen all of your movies - I'm missing 13, 6, 5, and 1. I've heard amazing things about Home for the Holidays - it's one of Kizz's favorites - but I've still not managed to see it yet.

I still freak kids out when I tell them that Ferris Bueller's Day Off wasn't ABOUT Ferris (I use the movie to illustrate the idea of plot and change). It takes them a while, but they eventually come up with who the movie is really about.

11/06/2008 5:58 PM  
Blogger NYC Educator said...

I'd put A Christmas Story on my list, despite the ban. Also The Godfather one and two.

11/06/2008 7:44 PM  
Blogger Nicholas said...

I have My Big fat G W in my DVD collection and have watched it several times. Great movie!

11/06/2008 9:27 PM  
Blogger Mister Teacher said...

No Matrix? Gladiator? Superhero movie du jour???

:)

11/06/2008 10:20 PM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

Mrs. Chili- this year is your year. You've got to watch Home for the Holidays this Thanksgiving!

NYC Educator~ I totally agree- all favorites here, too! I never get tired of "A Christmas Story".

Mister Teacher~ I guess I'm more of a Chick Flick type of girl. I did see The Dark Knight at the drive in this summer, though, so it's not like I don't watch'em. I just don't watch them again and again.

11/07/2008 11:37 PM  
Blogger HappyChyck said...

These are all great! I'm such a sucker for 1980s teen flicks. And yep, a huge chick flick fan. Great feel-good movies!

11/08/2008 5:59 AM  
Blogger Adeline said...

god bless your heart for loving raising arizona. i have an irrational love for that movie, and quote it often.


garden state also recurs in my memory, think i will have to watch that again.

11/08/2008 9:23 PM  
Blogger The Vegas Art Guy said...

My 10?

Rocky I

Star Wars

The Matrix

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Akira

Ghost In The Shell

The Patriot

LOTR (all three)

Fantasia (both)

Just about any John Wayne western!

11/18/2008 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home