Chuchería

Sunday, January 04, 2009

Sunday-itis Revisited

In about 12 hours I will be back at school, a place that I left happily on the sunny afternoon of December 17, anticipating and then getting a snow day on the 18th. I haven't been back since. That PILE of papers I brought home to correct hasn't left my bag. Tomorrow I will wake up earlier than I have all of Christmas break. I will slip slide away down the sheet of ice that is my alley. I will park over in BFE and trudge into school, coffee cup in hand. I will be assaulted with the overly bright flourescent lights in the hallway and the loud voices of students who are psyched to see their friends and show off new clothing and accessory purchases made with Christmas and Hannukah money but NOT to do any actual, well, you know, learning.
So, to make my day all the more interesting, I'm going to make a game out of it. I am positive that I will encounter the following during each of my classes tomorrow:

1. Student who asks "Can we have a free day today?"
2. Student who asks "Can we just sleep today?"
3. Student who asks "What are we doing today?", and not in an enthusiastic way.
4. Student who comes in insanely late.
5. Student who understands not one word of Spanish that I will assault them with.
6. Student who asks if we are going to have any homework.
7. Student who asks if we can just watch a movie.
8. Student who sleeps so soundly that snoring and/or drooling ensues.
9. Fire or Tornado drill.
10.Student still on vacation.

I will not encounter any of this:

1. Fights- they will all be too tired.
2. Christmas cards or gifts that anyone forgot to give me before break.
3. Students who are sad that our semester is coming to an end.
4. Good coffee in the office or lounge. (or anywhere else)
5. People happy to be back.

What the hell am I going to have my students DO tomorrow???? 7:45 am is sooo freaking early. They are just not going to be in the mood at all. And neither am I.

6 Comments:

Blogger Adeline said...

wow you just very effectively brought me back to my daily ritual as a teacher. with a few exceptions (my kids won't understand a word in english that i speak to them). thankyou for helping me to appreciate a gazillion times over the possibly one year in many that i won't be making that journey (err, sorry i do not mean to rub it in--just think of the money you have that we don't :o)

1/04/2009 11:45 PM  
Blogger Liberal Banana said...

I can't wait to hear how this game goes. You should print out the list and count how many times each thing happens. The list totally gave me flashbacks to when I was a student... I would've never had the balls to ask if we could SLEEP but I'm sure the "Can we just watch a movie?" passed through my lips more than once. :)

1/05/2009 7:12 AM  
Blogger MsAbcMom said...

Ha!

I am wondering how many will be back from Mexico. Many or the students at my school don't come back until after "Reyes" which is tomorrow. We will see!

Hope that you make it though ok!

1/05/2009 8:49 AM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

My student from Mexico wasn't there today- probably because of "Reyes".
I was spot on with the things I predicted I would not encounter.
I did pretty well with numbers 2, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 10. Yay, me!
Adeline- hope you had a great day at home with your little girls. That was me about 6 years ago- wouldn't trade that time for anything.
LB- nice to see you HERE! (Does Facebook know? Does Ruminations?)

1/05/2009 7:18 PM  
Blogger HappyChyck said...

I have two more nightmare classes tonight until I can say I survived. It was hell today. I came out guns blazing, though--at 7:00 am. One of my colleagues, whose room is used by another teacher during the 0 hour, stopped in and just kept snorting and laughing as I shot down sorry excuse after sorry excuse my students had to not work this week. Had the one-man peanut gallery not been there, I may not have known just how damn grumpy I was.

Will Tuesday be better?

1/05/2009 8:29 PM  
Blogger Liberal Banana said...

Mrs. T - I'm always here, just not always quick with a comment...Facebook doesn't need to know. We haven't had any discussion about being exclusive so for now I'm going to keep seeing whom I please. ;)

1/06/2009 7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home