Chuchería

Monday, February 09, 2009

Hiatus No mas

Sorry for the hiatus. Are there any of you still out there?

I just want to share with you all the joy I experienced in my 1st block class today. I have a creepily quiet class. There are 26 kids on my roster, 5 are usually absent or late. Among the chronically tardy is this very quiet kid- hardly ever a peep out of him. So, today, we were doing our work, and I called on him. His answer was a shrug. I stared at him. "Um, you know if you're having trouble remembering those words, you can look on p.39." Again, he shrugged and said, "I really don't care." He wasn't belligerent or anything- just matter-of-fact. I told him that wasn't going to fly and walked him through each of the words. I also explained to him that if he continued in that vein, he'd probably not pass the class, if he didn't pass, he wouldn't receive credit, blah, blah, blah. His response to that? "Duh!" At one point, he said "Why don't you just send me to the office?" Because that's exactly what he wanted, I made him stay and then kind of mocked his belligerence. When he said "I don't care about any of this shit." I snorted- almost guffawed and said "Oh, really? Now you're going to swear? You're cool." Then, later when I told the kids to put their workbooks away and he just sat there, I looked at him and asked "So, is this your idea of being a rebel? Refusing to put away your workbook? Here, let me help you out." That actually got him up off his ass to put his own damn workbook away. It's so funny, I'm not rattled by this little bugger in the least. I'm truly amused. Is that bad?

8 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

I'm still here!!

No, you're not bad. After a point, we just don't play into the kids' drama. I think I shock my students when I shrug and say "okay" when they tell me they don't have their homework. It's not a zero on MY record...

2/10/2009 6:56 AM  
Blogger CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Keep your sense of amusement--it will see you through many tough times in the classroom!

2/10/2009 8:53 AM  
Blogger HappyChyck said...

As long as it's only one, it amusing game for sure!

2/10/2009 5:33 PM  
Blogger Professor J said...

What a little pest! I'm glad it just amuses you.

2/10/2009 5:50 PM  
Blogger Mister Teacher said...

Yeah, that kind of crap would just annoy me...

2/10/2009 9:29 PM  
Blogger Adeline said...

your a survivor, i could take some notes on this. maybe i need a few more years to find my zen master, but this would get under my skin. its not something one would read in a "best practices" but it is reality (something even some of the best of best practices don't seem to hone in on), and you are meeting him where he's at, and putting a mirror on how he's acting so that he can see how ludicrous he is actually being, interesting!

glad your back, i feel like a dork checking all the time :o)

2/11/2009 12:32 AM  
Blogger Polski3 said...

Nicely done....I have to constantly remind myself NOT to say stuff like: OK class, raise your hands if you plan to graduate from College someday. Ok, "Joey" (the attitude kid), take a look around the room.....notice who has their hand up.....be nice to those people, S O M E D A Y, they might hire you to mow their lawns, wash their windows at a supermarket parking lot, buy you something to eat as you stand on a street corner with a poorly written cardboard sign.......

2/16/2009 6:18 PM  
Blogger E. said...

No, not bad. I'm impressed. It's good that you don't let him get your goat.

2/25/2009 8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home