Chuchería

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Problemas

A few questions for you Spanish speaking or Spanish teacher types out there:

1. What are good Spanish equivalents for "locker" and "term"- as in an academic term- half a semester?

2. Which do you prefer for "cheerleader"- porrista or animadora?

3. Is it ok to use the preterite to say "it rained" (llovió)? Our book states that the imperfect is used with weather conditions (it was sunny, it was cloudy, etc..), which I understand. But with rain and snow? Those seem like an event that has a clear beginning and end.

Just when I think I know this stuff...

4 Comments:

Blogger Adeline said...

oh man, sometimes i think that rather than cock fighting they should get 2 sixty year old spanish grammar teachers in a room and let them duke it out about the grey areas of preterite and imperfect. i decided the final call was if they liked you and it was a good day, they agreed with your answer and if not, then the opposite of what you thought was true.

sorry i am not much help.

i go with the book when i can't coherently explain why it is wrong...

3/30/2009 2:33 AM  
Blogger Miss Panda said...

Hi! I am a native from Mexico and to answer your questions:

1. Locker -- Casillero
Term -- Modulo/Tetramestre/medio semestre. O though we use the term "mitad de semestre" better to refer to this.

2. Porrista. "Animadora" is more like a mom that goes to scream stuff at her kid's little league coaches. Porrista is a better used word (some people, particularly in the South of Mexico do use Animadore, though)

3. Yes it is. We usually say llovió (it rained), nevó (it snowed)

4/01/2009 12:42 PM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

Adeline, I totally agree with you re: the grammar teachers- oy!

And Miss Panda- thank you so much! I thought I was right about the rain/snow, just nice to have it verified by a native speaker. I think Spaniards might use "animadora" as well- I think my students will like "porrista" better.

4/01/2009 5:12 PM  
Blogger Yuvia Chairez said...

You're very welcomed! :) Glad I could help!

4/02/2009 12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home