Damn- can you believe it's been over a month since I posted last? It's that time of year. Been a bit stressed lately.
1. You may recall that I am the default Dept. Head. By that, I mean, no one else really wanted to take it on. (It's unpaid, so there's very little incentive.) We get representation at Dept. Head meetings- I guess maybe the World Languages department is a bit like Puerto Rico in Congress in that respect. I digress. So, it's time to start scheduling for next year, which is always dicey, especially in the French and German classes, as we hold our breath every year, anticipating the day they say that we are going to lose a teacher in either of those subjects. Very stressful- emotions run real close to the surface. Looks like things are ok for now. There's also an added bit of unexpected drama on the part of another colleague and subsequent silent treatment that has also been a big pain in the ass of late.
2. I put my name in to teach an upper level Spanish Civ/Lit. class- stressful only in that my colleague (Mr. Burns clone) usually teaches those upper level classes and kills our program in the process. He zaps any enjoyment and love of language right out of the class and instead demoralizes those students, many of them either fail or drop, leaving him with a class consisting of 10 students at midterm. So I've been worried for weeks now that he's going to confront me and/or call my competency into question, blahdy, blahdy, blah, blah, blah. Long story longer, it looks like I indeed will be teaching that class in the spring. Yay!
3. I'm going to be our school's Student Council Advisor next year- fraught with everyone's 2 cents, of course. Lots to do and consider- homecoming, food drive, fund raisers, blood drives, community service....
4. I'm supposed to take a group of 16 students to Mexico on June 9. Spent most of last week on pins and needles worrying about the damn swine flu. Our travel company is so wonderful, though, and I trust them implicitly. They haven't canceled, so it looks like it's a go.
5. House? Mess. Easter decorations? Waiting to be put away. Laundry? Piling up.
6. Struggling to finish material before end of year amidst Senior Picnic, class meetings, golf meets, track meets, soccer games and unauthorized Senior Skip Days...