Chuchería

Monday, August 10, 2009

Books Books Books Meme

I swiped this one from Tense Teacher- check her out via my blogroll.

1) What author do you own the most books by?
I believe Janet Evanovich, since I recently became addicted to the Stehpanie Plum mysteries. Isabel Allende would be a close second. If we count Mr. T's books, then Kurt Vonnegut would be in there as well.

2) What book do you own the most copies of?
I'm not really in to having several copies of the same book, although when I see copies of "The House On Mango Street", I snatch them up so I can loan them to students. I also have several copies of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"- one in hardback for me, one in Spanish, one in paperback for my kids and one that I bought in the Heathrow airport because it's called "HP and the Philosopher's Stone" and I think that's so cool.

3) Did it bother you that both those questions ended with prepositions?
Yes and no. I have long ago come to terms with the whole "prescriptive" vs. "descriptive" grammar thing. I suspect that ending a sentence with a preposition will soon be acceptable, much like the word "snuck".

5) What book have you read the most times in your life?
When I was a kid, it was "Starring Sally J. Freidman As Herself", by Judy Blume. I guess it would have to be "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" or "Anne of Green Gables".

6) What was your favorite book when you were ten years old?
"Anne of Green Gables"

7) What is the worst book you’ve read in the past year?
"Down River"- it was too stiff for me.

8 ) What is the best book you’ve read in the past year?

"A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius", by David Eggers. I laughed out loud, I cried, I fell in love with David Eggers...

9) If you could force everyone you tagged to read one book, what would it be?

"A Prayer for Owen Meany"- what a fabulous book with much to ponder. Love, loyalty, friendship, war, faith.

11) What book would you most like to see made into a movie?

Hands down, the Stephanie Plum novels.

12) What book would you least like to see made into a movie?

I assume the question is referring to fiction, so that's how I'll answer. Maybe "American Wife", by Curtis Sittenfeld. Since it's a fictional account of Laura Bush's life, I'd rather not see it on the big screen.

13) What is the most lowbrow book you’ve read as an adult?

I'm going to concur with Tense and say the "Twilight" series. Though I did enjoy them for their entertainment value, I really did not think them to be well written at all.

14) What is the most difficult book you’ve ever read?

Apart from stuff I had to read for lit. classes (in English and Spanish), I'd have to say "Atonement", by Ian McEwan.

15) Do you prefer the French or the Russians?

I guess I'm too lowbrow to prefer either.

16) Roth or Updike?

I've only read Updike, and even then, just recently, so I'll go with him.

17) David Sedaris or Dave Eggers?

I couldn't possibly choose between the 2, since I am a HUGE fan of both.

18) Shakespeare, Milton, or Chaucer?

Shakespeare.

19) Austen or Eliot?

Jane Austen, although I'm not a huge fan.

20) What is the biggest or most embarrassing gap in your reading?

I'd say that while I was in college and the several years after- I had done so much reading for school, I just didn't do it much for pleasure. Kind of like the postman going for a walk on his day off.

21) What is your favorite novel?

Very hard to choose just one. In my top 5 are "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn", "A Prayer for Owen Meany", "Middlesex", "To Kill a Mockingbird", and "A Handmaid's Tale".

22) Essay?

Um, ??? I seem to recall liking several by Joan Didion when I took a Personal Essay class in college.

Can I include anything written by David Sedaris in this? If so, then I'd go with several from his book "Naked".


23) Work of nonfiction?

"Mountains Beyond Mountains", by Tracy Kidder. (an amazing author)

24) Who is your favorite writer?

Amy Tan, John Irving, Richard Russo, JK Rowling, Sandra Cisneros, Anne Tyler, Anna Quindlan, ...

25) What is your desert island book?

Well, hell, if I'm going to be stuck there for a while, I'd better make it good, right? Maybe "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare". It would certainly keep me occupied and I'd get in some good learnin' to boot.

26) What are you reading right now?

Just finishing "The Other Side of the River", by Alex Kotlowitz for book club, next am going to read some fluff- "Certain Girls", by Jennifer Weiner.

27) What fictional character are you secretly in love with?

Jake Spoon in "Lonesome Dove", Atticus Finch.

28 ) Who deserves to win the next Nobel Prize for Literature?

I don't know. I've read some "winners" and many just didn't do it for me.

29) Describe your weirdest dream involving a writer, book, or literary character.

I got nuthin.

30) What is the most obscure Shakespeare play you’ve seen?

"The Two Gentlemen of Verona"- we've got a local theater company that does Shakespeare and Greek plays in the park during the summer.

31) Favorite Poem?

William Carlos Williams- "In the summer, the song sings itself."

32) Favorite Short story?

"Rappicini's Daughter" (Hawthorne); "Axolotl" (some Latin American author).

33) Who is the most overrated writer alive today?

I don't know- it depends on what you're going for, I guess.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger HappyChyck said...

I always love to see what you're reading!

8/11/2009 8:19 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Hey, Lady! You won my little contest! Send me your snail mail address to mrschili at comcast dot net and I'll send your goodies out to you!

Love!

Chili

8/13/2009 6:58 AM  
Blogger NYC Educator said...

I liked Stephanie Plum for a while, but sort of ODd on her at some point. Love the Hawthorne short stories--they really stay with you. For the most overrated writer, there's Jay Matthews writing about education, and actually getting paid for it, plus whoever writes the stuff that appears on Fox, which many people actually watch.

It's odd, because when I was in Russian-occupied East Berlin, they sold Pravda on every street corner, but no one actually bought it.

Love Amy Tan, but her last book on Myanmar was not up to her standard, I thought.

8/15/2009 9:19 AM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

NYC Educator- I totally agree on the Amy Tan book- it was ok, but such a departure from her usual style. I can't say I liked it much. I'm happy to say I've not heard of Jay Matthews. Close to ODing on Stephanie Plum as well- looks like there's no end in sight!

8/17/2009 7:15 AM  
Blogger Senora said...

I LOVE Axolotl! It made me un-hate Cortazar.

9/08/2009 6:25 PM  
Blogger wsxwhx706 said...

IS VERY GOOD..............................

4/08/2010 7:07 AM  
Blogger Adeline said...

where'd you go? come back to blog.

4/26/2010 2:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home