Chuchería

Saturday, August 01, 2009

I'm Back in the Saddle Again....

So, I took the summer off from blogging - intentionally, and now here I am again. I was recently looking over some of my notes from the summer I participated in the Eastern Iowa Writing Project and I decided that I really do want to continue the blog- it's kind of like exercise, you've got to schedule it in your day, or it just isn't going to happen.

In case you are wondering what I've been up to, I took 16 high school students to Mexico and Costa Rica for 9 days immediately after school got out. It was fabulous and I learned a lot about Costa Rica- what a beautiful, clean, wonderful place! At the end of June I turned 40 and celebrated with a big party at our friends' photography studio. We provided some yummy gyros and salad from a local Greek joint and everyone brought potlucky stuff. I made a music file of songs from every year I've been alive, which was a big hit. I chose 4 songs from every year of my life- thanks to the Billboard top 100 lists I found archived somewhere on the internet. I also spent a week doing AP training so that perhaps one day I will have the opportunity to teach AP Spanish. (Provided that this man either dies or retires.)It was amazing and intense and I really feel ready and qualified to teach it.

My daughters went to camp and got to be in the same cabin- the only year they'll be able to due to their ages. It was a great experience for them- I was a tad nervous about Lydia- she has a history of being clingy and bashful, but she did great- there were 2 of her friends in her cabin and her counselor was her 2nd grade teacher's daughter. (We don't really live in a small town, it's just that Iowa is just one, big, small town).

We've had unseasonably cool weather and tons of rain, so we've not been up to our usual summer activities.

I don't know if it's the weather, or what, but I am actually getting my ducks in a row for the start of school. Aack! I'm never this far ahead of the game, and I must say it's a good feeling. This fall I'll be teaching 2 sections of Spanish 4 and have Student Council for my other class. (on the Block schedule, we have 4 blocks a day, we teach 3 and have a prep. Student Council is considered a class and they will meet every day for a semester. Most of our big projects will take place at the beginning of the year- with only a few at the end of the year.) The Student Council gig is new for me and I'm both excited and nervous about it.

1 Comments:

Blogger HappyChyck said...

Glad to see you back! It sounds like you had a wonderfully busy and thoughtful summer!

Student Council sounds like fun! What a great advantage that it's a class because I can see where it's a lot of work during parts of the year. How fun it will be to have your finger on the pulse of the student body!

I started my blog during my stint with the Southern Nevada Writing Project a few years ago. You're right--writing is something that you have to make time for. Thanks for reminding me! ;-)

8/02/2009 11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home